Thursday, May 16, 2013

Topic Sentences - Learning English

Topic Sentences - Learning English
 
paragraph.  A topic sentence…
•        Gives the main idea
•        Is often found at the beginning of the paragraph
•        Is often an opinion that must be proven
•        Is the base for all other supporting sentences

Here is a paragraph without a topic sentence:
The first reason I love running is because it keeps me in good shape.  Also, it gives me a chance to have some time to think and be alone.  Another great reason why I love running is because it is simple and I can do it all year
round.This paragraph lists all the reasons why the writer likes running.  Clearly the topic sentence should say something about how the writer like running.
Possible topic sentences:  
My favourite sport is running.  
I love running.
It is important to have a good topic sentence.  This will be your focus and makes it easier to write a well-structured paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment