Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Present Continuous

The present continuous is a verb tense used to show actions
in the present.  These actions are happening right now.
STRUCTURESubject + Verb “to be” + Verb + ing (gerund)
  • I am talking.
  • She is not singing.
  • They are watching a movie.

USESPresent continuous is used for actions happening right now.
  • I am eating dinner now.
  • He is listening to music.

Now can mean many things.  It may mean right now or this
second.  It can also mean these days or this year.
  • I am listening to music right now.
       (This describes the action happening right now)
  • I am working at Burger King.               
       (The person is not working this minute, but in general)

The second example shows how simple present and present
continuous can be used in the same way.

How are you?                                   How are you doing?
I live in Toronto.                               I am living in Toronto.
I teach at Chester High School.      I am teaching at Chester.
QUESTIONSThe verb and the subject are reversed to form a question with
the present continuous.
Yes/No QuestionsIs he eating dinner?                       Yes he is eating dinner.
Are you watching a movie?          No.  I am playing piano
WH QuestionsWhere is he going?
What are you doing?
Why is she singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment