Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Simple Past

The simple past tense in English is formed like this:Regular VerbsSubject  +  Verb  + ED

Examples:       
  • I played hockey yesterday.
  • He jumped on the bed.

Irregular VerbsIrregular verbs don’t end in "ed".  They have different
endings.  They are called irregular verbs because their endings
are different.

Examples:        
  • Go = went
  • Have = had

Verb to be in the simple past

IWas
YouWere
He/She/ItWas
WeWere
They

USES Actions at a specific time in the past
  • I ate dinner at 5:00 pm yesterday.
  • He went to school this morning.

Completed actions in the past
  • I finished my homework before dinner.
  • She quit her job.

Past status
  • I was a teacher 5 years ago.
  • They were tired last night.

NEGATIVESSubject + Did + Not + Base Verb

Examples:        
  • I did not eat yesterday.
  • They didn't (did not) go to class last week.

QUESTIONSQuestions in simple past are the same as in the simple present.  
There are 2 types:
1. Did
2. Was/Were
Did + Subject + Verb (in present)Examples:        
  • Did you eat yesterday?
  • Did they go to the store last week?

Was/Were  +  Subject Examples:
  • Was he tired last night?
  • Were they late this morning?
SIMPLE PAST TIME PHRASES

Time PhraseExamples
YesterdayI ate pizza yesterday.
Last + Time
  • night
  • week
  • month
  • class
I went to the park
last week.

Did you play soccer
last month?
Time + Ago
  • 2 minutes ago
  • 3 days ago
  • 4 weeks ago
  • 8 years ago

I lived in New York 3
years ago.

I finished my
homework 30
minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment